Why did animal X stop transmitting?
Dora - Gulf Green Turtle Project 2016-2019
A project of Emirates Wildlife Society-WWF.
Static Map | Zoom Map | Animated Map (17KB)
Subscribe to Project Updates
A huge thank you to Various UAE Schools for sponsoring Dora. This support is invaluable in helping us learn all we can about turtle behaviour and habitat use. These data will help us conserve sea turtles much more effectively, and we are extremely grateful to Various UAE Schools for their support - and so is Dora!!!
Dora was caught using 'rodeo' style capture methods off Bu Tinah Island, Abu Dhabi, in collaboration with the Environment Agency Abu Dhabi. Capture involved a chase at sea using a boat and jet ski, until finallly someone jumped and caught the turtle by hand. After a quick laparoscopic inspection Dora was found to be an adult female in reproductive condition, and we hope she will migrate to lay eggs later in 2017. She carries flipper tags 0621 on the right side and 0620 on the left, and measures 94.4 cm in carapace length.
- The presentation of data here does not constitute publication. All data remain copyright of the project partners. Maps or data on this website may not be used or referenced without the explicit written consent of the data owners.
- For more information please visit the project website.
- This map connects positions generated by the ARGOS system designated as location class (lc) '3', '2', '1', '0', 'A', 'B'. Locations that have been "filtered" are displayed as small red dots.
- This maps also shows locations of class 'Z', 'X' as small black dots which are not connected by a route line.
- Bathymetry layers are derived from the GEBCO One Minute Grid.
- Sea surface temperature and chlorophyll are derived from NASA's Ocean Color data.
- Ocean currents and sea surface heights are derived from AVISO's Ssalto/Duacs Gridded Absolute Dynamic Topography & absolute geostrophic velocities data.
SEATURTLE.ORG collaborates with Argos to help scientists and conservationists manage and analyse their valuable animal tracking data.