Why did animal X stop transmitting?
* Sophie-Emily Kirralee - Queensland: K'gari (Fraser Island) nesting Green and Loggerhead turtles 2017-18
A project of Sandy Cape Turtle Volunteers.
Static Map | Zoom Map | Animated Map (19KB)
Subscribe to Project Updates
Sophie-Emily Kirralee was first tagged nesting at Sandy Cape in 1999:
Front Left Flipper - tag K33822 was added and she measured 101.2cm;
She was seen nesting again in 2008:
Front left Flipper - tag QA2299 was added and now she measured 102.5cm;
We found her basking on the night of 21st November 2017, 6.24 km south of Sandy Cape. She now measured 102.6cm, and we took her to the Lighthouse, and added:
Left Hind Flipper - tag QA52285
Carapace - a Sirtrack F4G GPS Fastloc tracker s165012
Carapace - the letter "Y"
She was released at the Lighthouse gate, and returned to the Eastern Beach and made her way down to the Orange Creek - Orchid Beach area.
1) She nested 200m South of Orange Creek (24.4km South of Sandy Cape) on 24th November.
2) She nested 18.73km South of Sandy Cape on 10th December
3) She nested 150m South of Orange Creek (24.3km South of Sandy Cape) on 23rd December.
In between each clutch she swam north around Sandy Cape and along the NW beach and then south again, to spend most of her inter-nesting periods in the Orange Creek to Orchid Beach area.
- The presentation of data here does not constitute publication. All data remain copyright of the project partners. Maps or data on this website may not be used or referenced without the explicit written consent of the data owners.
- For more information please visit the project website.
- This map connects positions generated by the ARGOS system designated as location class (lc) '3', '2', '1', '0', 'A'. Locations that have been "filtered" are displayed as small red dots.
- This maps also shows locations of class 'A' as small black dots which are not connected by a route line.
- Bathymetry layers are derived from the GEBCO One Minute Grid.
- Sea surface temperature and chlorophyll are derived from NASA's Ocean Color data.
- Ocean currents and sea surface heights are derived from AVISO's Ssalto/Duacs Gridded Absolute Dynamic Topography & absolute geostrophic velocities data.
SEATURTLE.ORG collaborates with Argos to help scientists and conservationists manage and analyse their valuable animal tracking data.