Why did animal X stop transmitting?
Cc Burnett Mary (BMRG) - Queensland: K'gari (Fraser Island) nesting Green and Loggerhead turtles 2017-18
A project of Sandy Cape Turtle Volunteers.
Static Map | Zoom Map | Animated Map (37KB)
Adopt Cc Burnett Mary (BMRG) | Subscribe to Project Updates
"Burnett Mary" and "Lower Mary" have been sponsored by LMRL&CCG Inc through BMRG
Front Left flipper: QA52911 tag added
Front Right flipper: QA52912 tag added
s164999 Sirtrack F4G Fastlock tracker
Curved Carapace Length: 96cm
1) She attempted to nest on the night of 16th November 2017 at 4.76km West, and again after release on the 17th and 18th at 6.2 km West, and finally nested on 25th November, 6 km West of Sandy Cape.
2) After an inter-nesting interval of 14 days she nested again on 9th December at 2.5km West of Sandy Cape.
3) After an inter-nesting interval of 16 days she nested a third time on 25th December at 1.5km South of Sandy Cape, and then headed south to be hanging about Ngkala Rocks on January 1st to 5th 2018.
4) After an inter-nesting interval of 16 days she nested on the 9th January at 22:20 hrs 4.6km West of Sandy Cape.
She then swam offshore 20km Southeast of Indian Head, returned to the shore and followed the coast up the island and sometime between 7am and 9:30am on 16th January 2018 she commenced her homeward migration, heading North and East, and by the 20th she was 175km NE of Sandy Cape.
She continued a northerly swim, and crossed the central part of the Louisiade Archipelago, 200km / 125 miles to the east of mainland of Papua New Guinea between 17th and 22nd February.
The tracker and 6 months of ARGOS data for both "Burnett Mary" and "Lower Mary" and the Sandy Cape Lighthouse Volunteers' all-purpose trailer have been sponsored by the Lower Mary River Land and Catchment Care Group Inc (LMRL&CCG) through the Burnett Mary Regional Group for Natural Resource Management (BMRG), through funding from the Australian Government’s National Landcare Programme.
- The presentation of data here does not constitute publication. All data remain copyright of the project partners. Maps or data on this website may not be used or referenced without the explicit written consent of the data owners.
- For more information please visit the project website.
- This map connects positions generated by the ARGOS system designated as location class (lc) '4', '3', '2', '1', '0', 'A', 'B'. Locations that have been "filtered" are displayed as small red dots.
- This maps also shows locations of class 'A' as small black dots which are not connected by a route line.
- Bathymetry layers are derived from the GEBCO One Minute Grid.
- Sea surface temperature and chlorophyll are derived from NASA's Ocean Color data.
- Ocean currents and sea surface heights are derived from AVISO's Ssalto/Duacs Gridded Absolute Dynamic Topography & absolute geostrophic velocities data.
SEATURTLE.ORG collaborates with Argos to help scientists and conservationists manage and analyse their valuable animal tracking data.