Why did animal X stop transmitting?
Pandilo - Kimberley - flatbacks
A project of Dept. Parks & Wildlife- W. Australia.
Static Map | Zoom Map | Animated Map (436KB)
Subscribe to Project Updates
"Pandilo" is named for Mary Pandilo who was the first baptized person of the Balanggarra people at the old Pago Mission.
Pandilo the turtle measured 86.7 cm curved carapace length and laid 65 eggs.
Left tag WB3751, right tag WB3753.
Samples taken included biopsy F5086, F5290, satellite tag 163433, eggs-UWA.
The turtle had a tough time digging as dry sand collapsed each digging effort. She made 8 attempts before completing a successful egg chamber.
The field trip was part of the Western Australia Marine Science Institute (WAMSI) Turtle Project 1.2.2 to better understand turtles in the Kimberley region of WA. Project components include (1) distribution and abundance of Kimberley marine turtles, (2) genetics of flatback turtles, (3) effects of climate change on turtle nesting and incubation, and (4) sharing knowledge between indigenous and scientific participants. The field trip was accompanied by Balanggarra elder Clement Maraltadj and head ranger James "Birdy" Birch. The West Governor Islands are located in the proposed North Kimberley Marine Park.
- The presentation of data here does not constitute publication. All data remain copyright of the project partners. Maps or data on this website may not be used or referenced without the explicit written consent of the data owners.
- For more information please visit the project website.
- This map connects positions generated by the ARGOS system designated as location class (lc) '3', '2', '1', '0', 'A', 'B'. Locations that have been "filtered" are displayed as small red dots.
- This maps also shows locations of class 'A' as small black dots which are not connected by a route line.
- Bathymetry layers are derived from the GEBCO One Minute Grid.
- Sea surface temperature and chlorophyll are derived from NASA's Ocean Color data.
- Ocean currents and sea surface heights are derived from AVISO's Ssalto/Duacs Gridded Absolute Dynamic Topography & absolute geostrophic velocities data.
SEATURTLE.ORG collaborates with Argos to help scientists and conservationists manage and analyse their valuable animal tracking data.